Toddler dies from choking on grape

Jacob Jenkins was placed in a coma after choking on a grape in Pizza Hut.

The two-year-old was eating with his parents in the restaurant in Hartlepool, County Durham, when the fruit became lodged in his throat. He was rushed to Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle where he was put into an induced coma on Friday evening. In a tribute posted to Facebook his mother, Abigail Wilson, said her son had 'gained his angel wings'. His death came as around 500 well-wishers were gathering on Seaton Carew seafront, Hartlepool, to release yellow balloons in a show of support for the family. As Jacob started to choke, the restaurant's first aider tried in vain to remove the grape and his father ran for help to a nearby cinema. Two first aiders from the complex also tried to help as paramedics and an air ambulance crew were dispatched to the restaurant. By the time paramedics arrived, Jacob's heart had stopped but the youngster was rushed to hospital and doctors managed to restart it. Ms Wilson and Jacob's father, David Jenkins, remained by their son's bedside as he fought for his life over the weekend. But in a post uploaded to Facebook last night, Ms Jenkins announced the heartbreaking news that Jacob had died. She wrote: 'Me and David want to thank every single person for the support over this awful last few days. 'Jacob has gained his angel wings at 7pm as you all set off your balloons. 'There was nothing else that could be done for Jacob and as hard as it was we chose that time because we knew he would be in thousands of people's minds at that exact moment. 'I won't be replyin to any thing as I hope use understand but we are so grateful for the love you have shown our gorgeous Angel xxxxxxx.' More than £5,000 has been raised on the Go Fund Me charitable website set up by family friends in the toddler's name.
Share page
Print page
Follow us